This software, based on the NAVIGO technology, is one of the broadly-understood GIS system elements, using, among others, standard platforms (e.g. from ESRI, Intergraph, MapInfo, AutoCAD Map or Bentley Geographics). It is, however, a component with the final business user in mind, one who is not involved with GIS systems professionally.
The NAVIGO technology provides easy and affordable access to geographic information. The idea behind the development of NAVIGO is to enable distribution of geographic data and basic functions and operations based on this data to the end user, in a friendly form. This is enabled by a precisely defined group of functions for specific applications, making it possible to learn how to use the software quickly and to adjust it to user’s expectations.
A characteristic feature of solutions based on the NAVIGO technology is that both the GIS functions and geographic data are provided as a closed whole.
We have elaborated our own format of a spatial database that integrates navigation data, cartographic objects, address data and points of interest. This format, called PRDF, has a controlled precision of representation, high level of data compression and outstanding work efficiency. Data saving in the internal PPWK formats makes it possible to increase the efficiency of data use and to lower the product cost to the end user.
The original idea behind NAVIGO was not to design it is a universal GIS platform. It is a software for programming applications addressed to users who apply spatial data in their work, but are not professionally involved with GIS. NAVIGO is a great map component for CRM applications, vehicle monitoring, transport applications, applications for spatial resource management and many others…
The basis for NAVIGO technology is the design of a dedicated system kernel. The kernel performs the basic GIS functions by using programming modules contained in the kernell.dll. library. These functions are:
- visualization of spatial data (raster and vector) based on a profile defined independently of data
- universal functions (among others, object selection, searching for object databases, route planning, recalculation of coordinates – the catalogue of functions performed by the kernel is open-ended)
- integration of various external data sources with spatial references (PRDF, SWDE, SQL and geocoded rasters in the Jpeg2000 format)
The NAVIGO technology has been elaborated so that the compilation of the same source code results in basic products enabling the development of the application on the following platforms:
- PC Windows -VC++, MFC applications
- .Net applications – Internet solutions
- PDA Windows CE applications
- Active X – a product for producers of Windows environment solutions (Visual Basic, C#, VC++)
An additional functionality developed within the basic kernel module can be immediately used on the other platforms.
An important feature of NAVIGO technology is the option to distribute date in the PRDF format with NavigoX (Active X Control). In the basic version, Active X with the map works as the main map of Navigo application – Car map of Poland. The component may be embedded in applications written in environments that support the ActiveX technology: Visual Basic, Visual C++, Borland C++, Borland Delphi, and even MS Access. This provides independent producers of solutions for the Windows environment with unlimited options for implementing ready maps and NAVIGO functionalities.
One very important feature of NAVIGO is access to functions and geographic data through the Internet. This is done with the component called NavigoWebMap. NavigoWebMap is a system of equipment-independent services based on network communication with the aid of SOAP protocol, which makes access possible from any device with Internet connection. Currently, NavigoWebMap services make it possible to view maps, manage layers, search for points of interest and calculate routes.
NavigoWebMap may be a technological platform for provision of services to mass end-users through the Internet, to GSM (GPRS) operators, of GIS solutions for large clients (such as banks, warehouse owners, public administration, the army, police, crisis response teams). Broad scaling options, limited equipment requirements, ease of integration with end-user’s IT systems are the most important features of this technological platform.
- flexible licensing, low cost for the user
- ease of adjustment to other corporate systems without the need for their rebuilding
- own, fully integrated geographic database
- coherence between PC, PDA applications, cellphones and Internet map servers
- easy use, number of functions limited to essentials
- easy provision of functions and data, so that the user does not have to make advanced operations connected to “uploading" and professional cartographic data presentation
- efficiency of solutions
- low equipment and software requirements, including very little disc space needed
- full integration with GPS
Areas of potential applications of NAVIGO largely overlap the application areas of all GIS systems, with the reservation of certain functional limitations to specific function groups. The NAVIGO technology is not dedicated, among others, to creating data collecting systems, advanced data processing or professional cartographic production.